Prelinger Archives
Morrissey Breen
2022-02-06 00:31:29 UTC
https://archive.org/details/Designfo1956

Design for Dreaming
by MPO Productions

Publication date 1956
Usage Public DomainCreative Commons Licensepublicdomain
Topics Futurism, Automobiles: Advertising, Gender roles
Digitizing sponsor General Motors
Set at the 1956 General Motors Motorama, this is one of the key Populuxe films of the 1950s, showing futuristic dream cars and Frigidaire's "Kitchen of the Future."
Shotlist

Produced to bring the 1956 G.M. Motorama to audiences unable to see it in major cities, this fim introduces the new 1956 cars, Frigidaire's "Kitchen of Tomorrow," and the electronic highways of the future. G.M.'s "dream cars" of the 1950s, including the Oldsmobile Golden Rocket and the turbine-powered Pontiac Firebird II, are also displayed. One of the more self-consciously surreal films in our collection, Design for Dreaming often looks like a Hollywood musical. A Fifties-style sleeping beauty is awakened into a dream by a magician dressed in tails who hands her an invitation to the Motorama at New York's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. She flies through the nighttime sky to the hotel, where she sees the milling crowds and marvels at the new cars. With the magician she expresses her desires ("I want a Corvette..."; "This Buick's a beaut...Oh, what a dreamy ride! I think that I'd like to buy it!") until suddenly an apron appears around her waist and he carries her into the "Kitchen of Tomorrow." She briefly laments the plight of woman but is distracted by the wonders of the machine that reads recipes off computer cards, the glass-walled refrigerator, and the hemispherical glass oven that seems to be able to make a cake with lighted birthday candles on top. Dancing through the kitchen, she contemplates the life of leisure made possible by its labor-saving devices ("Tick, tock, tick, tock, I'm free to have fun around the clock!") until her cake is ready. As she blows out the candles, she is transported back to the Motorama, where the "dream cars" are presented by models sporting various designer outfits of the time. Her magician guides her into the Firebird II, which seems to have inspired John DeLorean's innovations twenty years later, calls the traffic dispatch center by radio, and they are off onto the electronic highway of tomorrow. As they ride through a futuristic urban landscape incorporating building models and real slot cars, the couple sings a duet linking their love to technological progress. "Tomorrow, tomorrow, our dreams will come true/Tomorrow, tomorrow, we'll make the world new/Strange shapes will rise out of the night/But our love will not change dear/It will be like the sun burning bright/Riding away/When tomorrow meets today!"

Ken Smith sez: The ultimate '50s Futurrific film. Totally out of control. A woman with a Shirley MacLaine page boy hairdo is escorted by a guy wearing a gold ballroom mask to the G.M. "Motorama". The all-singing soundtrack assaults the ears, as a fourth-string Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald team shriek poorly-structured lyrics such as "Girls don't go to Motoramas dressed in a pair of pink pajamas." The "Dance of Tomorrow" is a high point, as is the electric racing set that's supposed to represent a freeway interchange of the future. "To-mahhhhh-row, To-mahhhhh-row, Our dreams will come truuuuuuuuue...." Your life will not be complete until you see this film.

20:02:12:00 - 20:02:17:00
TC: "Design for Dreaming" over city skyline at night
20:02:17:00 - 20:03:36:00
CU woman sleeping; track out to MS woman in bed with satin backboard and bright blue drape (simulation of starry night sky in BG); MLS woman in bed as handsome man, wearing tuxedo, top hat and gold eye mask, enters room; MS man gracefully presents her with an invitation (served on a silver platter); man magically disappears as she inspects the heart-shaped invitation; CU invitation reading "Special Invitation to the General Motors Motorama"; MS woman animatedly gets out of bed and dances across room to mirror; as she peers through the mirror her pink satin pajamas magically turn into a beautiful ball gown; she dances around and her invitation blows off the bed into the night sky; she leaps off her bed and into the air, flying past lighted city buildings; MS man in tuxedo, top hat and gold eye mask holding the invitation (sign reading "Information" over his head); woman lands and dances toward man; CU woman looking o.s.; MS man has disappeared and woman dances over to the invitation (suspended in the air); she takes it and dances o.s.
20:03:36:00 - 20:04:08:00
MS woman enters room and is greeted by man wearing tuxedo, top hat and gold eye mask; she presents her heart-shaped invitation as she politely curtsies (wall and balcony draped with black velvet and glitter); low angle MS woman looking over balcony with awed expression; high angle LS mass of people crowded around car displays; man directs woman's attention o.s. then magically disappears; woman looks around as theatre glasses appear in her hand; woman looking around intercut with shots of the crowd
20:04:08:00 - 20:05:32:00
MS mass of people gathered around something; woman in ball gown enters frame, running to see what people are looking at; she peaks around people and jumps up and down but cannot see; man in top hat, tuxedo and gold eye mask magically appears and walks over to her, lifting her up over the crowd; VS woman (lifted in the air) looking at a bright, red convertible on display; man carries her over to another display of a new, white car; MS car revolving on a turn table; man carries woman to another display of a new, white convertible; high angle MS convertible on display turn table; man carries woman to another display of a blue convertible; MCU rippling frame settles on woman in drivers seat of blue convertible, smiling; frame ripples; man carries woman away to final display of a silver Cadillac; MCU Cadillac as woman steps out of back seat; she gets out, opens an umbrella and has her photograph taken; magically umbrella disappears and a black and white striped cooking apron appears around her waist; she steps up onto the railing and swooningly falls over as man in tuxedo, top hat and eye mask catches her and carries her away
20:05:32:00 - 20:06:25:00
MS "the kitchen of the future"; man in top hat, tuxedo and gold eye mask enters carrying woman wearing ball gown; he sets her down and, with a twirl, he magically disappears; she looks around for him then, curiously, begins to search through the kitchen; MCU woman dancing around; she picks up a card and inserts it into a slot on the cabinet; CU picture of a cake appears on a screen in front of her; woman pushes a button and an electric beater lowers from the cabinets; another push of a button and beater begins to operate; woman walks over to "the refrigerator of the future" and with a push of a button it begins revolving and displaying food; MS woman looks o.s., surprised, as a cart carrying a cake pan moves toward her; she pushes a button and "the oven of the future" opens; she puts the cake in the oven, pushes a button and happily skips out of the room
20:06:25:00 - 20:06:56:00
MS marble post in middle of a room (plants and stained-window panes in BG); woman in ball gown enters frame and happily skips behind the post, out of view; she dances around the other side of the post wearing tennis attire and swinging a tennis racquet; she skips back behind post and dances around the other side wearing golf attire, twirling and swinging a golf club; she skips back behind the post and a bench appears; she skips around the other side wearing a swimsuit and big straw hat; she lays on bench and lifts her legs in the air; she hops up, skips behind the post again as the bench disappears; she skips around the other side wearing ball gown with black and white striped apron tied around her waist; she happily skips o.s.
20:06:56:00 - 20:07:14:00
MS "the kitchen of the future"; woman wearing ball gown and black and white striped apron enters kitchen, animated and happy; she turns off "the oven of the future" and removes a cake (already frosted with candles on it); she sets cake down on cabinet and the candles magically light; she closes her eyes and crosses her fingers, making a wish; low angle MCU woman blows out candles and a thick, dreamy smoke rises
20:07:14:00 - 20:08:04:00
Thick dreamy smoke fades revealing woman on stage dressed in ball gown; she walks to center stage smiling and twirling; high angle MS people in audience, applauding; MCU woman curtsies; CU woman grinning; high angle MS audience clapping in unison to a beat; VS woman dancing around performing on a stage; MCU woman stops and, as the lights fade, she throws glitter in the air
20:08:04:00 - 20:09:14:00
Low angle fireworks exploding against a black night sky intercut between VS cars being displayed on turn tables at a car show; women standing beside cars modeling designer clothing; car types include El Dorado, Centurion, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Impala
20:09:14:00 - 20:10:20:00
High angle MS people in audience looking up with awed expressions; MCU man wearing tuxedo, top hat and gold eye mask leaps into frame, looking sneaky and saying "Shhh"; MS people in audience looking into camera, all saying "Shhh"; MCU man in mask pointing o.s., amazed; MS man in mask standing beside "the car of the future" on display turn table, smoke all around; he opens door and motions an invitation to woman (o.s.); VS woman steps off ledge and magically glides down to the ground and, in slow motion, runs to the car; MS man puts wrap around her shoulders and they get in car; MCU people in audience looking into camera, awed; MCU man and woman sitting in car as top lowers; man's mask magically disappears, woman is surprised; man turns gadget overhead and talks into it; high angle CU front lights emerging from behind fender on "the car of the future"; man finishes talking and the rear fin of the car is seen as they drive away, leaving a thick dreamy smoke behind; MCU people in audience, awed
20:10:20:00 - 20:11:24:00
VS man and woman, both formally dressed, riding in "the car of the future" and looking around, awed; MS the road in front of them (it looks very smoky, futuristic and space-like); VS cars driving along "the highways of the future" (with "the cities of the future" in the BG); MCU man and woman look at one another and lean their heads together, smiling
20:11:25:00 - 20:11:27:00
TC: The End

I dreamt last night the moon was so bright it melted the walls away and it wasn't alarming when I saw a Prince Charming come into my bedroom and say . . . [Design For Dreaming woman sleeping bedrooms]
Let me persuade you to come to the place where tomorrow meets today. Oooh, Thank you it sounds very exciting. May I come just as I am? [Special Invitation to The General Motors Motorama hearts reaction shots]
Hey, girls don't go to Motoramas dressed in a pair of pink pajamas. Maybe they don't but I don't care, haven't got a single thing to wear. Quick, please, a gown. Oooh, I'll be the talk of the town. [excitement dancing mirrors dresses gowns]
Oh my! Go after it, fly! I followed my heart through the night past a thousand windows yellow with light. Down, down it fell, and it landed in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. [cities lights flying dancing Thelma Tad Tadlock transitions]
I'm a girl who happens to think that a brand new car is better than mink. Excited? Delighted. So glad I got invited. Since it's just a dream and involves no money which one would you like me to buy you, honey? [crowds reaction shots Motorama audiences]
They're all so beautiful, I really don't know, so let me go down, get the lowdown, and look at each one much closer. [opera glasses]
I want a Corvette. I thought you would. [Chevrolet Corvettes turntables Motoramas]
Oooh I want a Pontiac too. Okay, we'll have the usual two-car garage.
How do you feel about this fine Oldsmobile? It's easy to see myself taking the wheel.
This Buick's a beaut. I'll try it. Oooh, what a dreamy ride! I think that we ought to buy it. [special effects special efx ecstasy turntables pleasure dreams fantasies abandonment]
Let's go all out and buy a Cadillac too. I can hardly wait for this dream to come true. [umbrellas cameras flashes photographers photography]
Hey lady, your apron is showing. Better get her into the kitchen quick. Just like a man, you give him a break, and you wind up in the kitchen, baking a cake. [sexism gender roles sex roles housewives domestic labor women workers kitchens marriage slavery servitude capture captivity swooning fainting weakness kidnapping abduction wonder excitement surprise marvel]
But this was a kitchen like none I'd seen. Put a card in the slot and onto the screen pops a picture of just how your dish will look plus all the ingredients you need to cook. No need for the bride to feel tragic, the rest is pushbutton magic. So whether you bake or broil or stew, the Frigidaire kitchen does it all for you. [dancing kitchens Kitchen of Tomorrow Kitchen of the Future computers screens automation mixers appliances futurism futuristic technology refrigerators]
Don't have to be chained to the stove all day, just set the timer and you're on your way. Tick, tock, tick, tock, I'm free to have fun around the clock. Jeepers, I'm exhausted! Ring! The Kitchen of tomorrow is calling me. My cake is ready. [dancing kitchens Kitchen of Tomorrow Kitchen of the Future automation appliances futurism futuristic technology ovens cakes baking leisure sports tennis changing clothes golfing swimsuits bathing suits]
Time for the show, everybody on stage. And now, a glamorous dancer in a special number, Dance of Tomorrow. [Thelma Tad Tadlock fingers crossed crossing fingers transitions futurism futuristic dancing blowing out candles smoke applause crowds reaction shots audiences bows]
Everyone says the future is strange, but I have a feeling some things won't change. Now, the dream cars of tomorrow! [dance of tomorrow futuristic dancing futurism applause crowds audiences reactions twirls confetti fireworks drumrolls]
A magnificent El Dorado town car by Cadillac. Ensemble by Christian Dior of Paris. [dream cars fashions]
Buick presents the sleek Centurion. Driving coat by Montesano of New York. [dream cars fashions pets animals]
Oldsmobile's elegant Golden Rocket. Sports outfit by Pat Fremo of Los Angeles. [Primo dream cars fashions]
Pontiac's Club de Mer, open to the sky. Costume by Emilio of Capri. [dream cars fashions]
Chevrolet's Impala, graceful and swift. Silk casual by Digby Morton of London. [dream cars fashions]
Shhhhh . . . and last of all, designed for the electronic highway of the future, the fabulous, turbine-powered, Firebird II. Oooh, Ahhh. Why, it's you. [dream cars flying special effects special efx descending fur stoles ecstasy audiences reaction shots crowds Pontiac Firebird II Firebird 2 Firebird Two futurism futuristic automobiles fins tailfins]
Firebird II to control tower, we are about to take off on the highway of tomorrow, stand by. [radio communication headlights tailfins fins]
Tomorrow, tomorrow, our dreams will come true. Together, together, we'll make the world new. Strange shapes will rise out of the night, but our love will not change, dear. It will be like a star burning bright, lighting our way, when tomorrow meets today. [The End. futurism futuristic vehicles traveling romance couples automatic highways automatic roads automation amazement Christmas ornaments glass balls slot cars models model cities architecture end titles graphic design]

<BR>

Addeddate 2002-07-16 00:00:00
Closed captioning no
Collectionid 10561
Color C
Identifier Designfo1956
Numeric_id 342
Proddate 1956
Run time 9:16
Sound Sd
Type MovingImage
plus-circle Add Review
comment Reviews
Reviewer: aquaerials - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - May 15, 2021
Subject: I created a music video using this footage.
Feel free to check it out if you're curious to see how others are using the footage from the Prelinger Archive:

The Aquaerials - "Mr. Dream"

Reviewer: The Darbys AKA Robert and Roy Darby - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - July 14, 2020
Subject: So many bands
So many musicians and bands have used this footage in their video clips, Peter Gabriel and Rush. Us Too

https://archive.org/details/dancing-by-the-waters-edge_202007
Bless you Tad Tadlock
Reviewer: Diana A. Rodriguez Lopez - - February 24, 2020
Subject: MAV II
minuto 3:01 el momento donde la mujer sale del carro y repentinamente le aparece un mandil y la chica cae en brazos de un hombre con traje elegante, podría ser útil
Reviewer: Nicolettaboxspring - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - July 16, 2019
Subject: license footage
I am writing on behalf of Boxspring Entertainment and we would like to use this footage for some educational videos.

Please get in contact with me at the following: ***@boxspringentertainment.com
Reviewer: Pleonic - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 19, 2017
Subject: Romance of the Future!
This is what the Archive is for! No where else could you ever have seen this funky 1950s dream of the future but here. When a mysterious masked magician enters a woman's bedroom in the middle of the night, she's more than ready to head out on a phantasmagorical journey to a push button wonderland filled with cars, automated kitchens, and yet more futuristic cars. Dancing all the way she climbs into a spiffy turbo-car with the gold-masked magician who is revealed to be a cheerful average guy. But that's more than enough for her and they're last scene driving off into the night... and the future!
Reviewer: LBFC - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 28, 2012
Subject: How Do I receive the Legal Rights to this?
I want to use this in a documentary how do I get the rights?
Reviewer: JayKay49 - favoritefavoritefavorite - December 23, 2011
Subject: And 50 years later...
cars look like stubby suppositories and most men drive a big clunky pick up truck. Peoples mixers are the same old (but reincarnated) stand mixer - only in 12 delicious colors...beaters hidden in wall cabinets just wouldn't do for role - playing.
Reviewer: nighthouse66 - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 6, 2010
Subject: CLASSIC.
this is simply one of the four best adverts ever made. so ludicrously lush and innocent, so surreal, so futuristic- so OVER THE TOP. love that another reviewer tells us the lady's name is Thelma "Tad" Tadlock. what a cutie. spunky little hairstyle, obviously a dancer- god, i bet she was a fun chick. wonder whatever happened to her?

Dancer, actress and choreographer Thelma "Tad" Tadlock died here Dec. 8, 2000, at the age of 69. MSTies will surely remember her as the twinkle-toed female lead (dubbed "Nuveena" by Mike and the 'Bots) in the short "Design For Dreaming," featured in episode 524- 12 TO THE MOON.

A native of Port Arthur, TX, she began dance classes at the age of three. After graduating high school in 1949, she headed to New York City and soon landed a part in the stage show "Make a Wish." That was followed by work in more Broadway plays, including "Pal Joey" and "Me and Juliet". In 1955, she started work on television, as part of the chorus on the "Max Liebman Spectaculars." She next became a featured dancer on the "Hit Parade."

She left the show in the late '50s, along with choreographer Tom Hansen, Claire Gundermann and other dancers to form "The Tom Hansen Singers and Dancers" and become the featured dancer on the "Arthur Murray Dance Party" show. She later choreographed many of the Merv Griffin "Dance Fever" shows with Denny Terio, as well as working as a spokesman, actress, model and dancer for numerous commercials. She has worked on movies including "I Love You to Death," "Body Heat," and "Heaven's Gate," as well as the Miss Teen USA, Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants.
Reviewer: Cousin Zoid - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - April 22, 2009
Subject: Great short, gorgeous 1950's woman.
This is a great short if you are interested in retro representations of the future, which I definitely am, but my favorite part of the short is the absolutely gorgeous woman who stars in it. She's nearly a perfect representation of my ideal 1950's lady.

Also as a response to Robin1990's review... I think it's hilarious that you feel have to tell us about The Jetsons as if it's some little niche cult show that few people have heard of rather than one of the more classic american cartoons of the last 50 years. It might have "flopped" in it's original prime time airing but it caught on almost immediately with children when it was rerun on Saturday mornings, and has been shown consistently in reruns ever since. It was so popular when I was a kid in the 80's that nearly 25 years after it originally aired they actually went back and made new episodes. And it didn't originally fail because of it's "outdated" vision of the future. That "outdated" vision of the future was never intended to be taken seriously in the Jetsons the way it was in these kinds of promotional shorts. "The Jetsons" was done that way exactly BECAUSE it was already so outdated and unrealistic. It was a JOKE. No, actually it was THE MAIN JOKE of the entire series.
Reviewer: Seto-Kaiba_Is_Stupid - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - January 14, 2009
Subject: Brilliant Camp
If you like camp, you'll love this hilarious film!

A must see of the Internet!

Also contains some very nice cars.
Reviewer: marain - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 13, 2008
Subject: Loved it
I love this film, play it all the time. And yes, in the 50s that was the "future" they assured us would come to pass. Except we were supposed to have hover crafts, too! The only thing I don't get is that her gown, although it's nice, is obviously torn at the back and she keeps stepping on it. I'm wondering if this was intentional, or what; it must have been hard not to trip herself up on that hem.
Reviewer: Robin_1990 - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - January 12, 2008
Subject: Fun Film
Curious that this vision of the future seems more appealing than today's world. The 50's had many problems, But I think it's good that people were quite optimistic, Unlike today where people are cynical. There was a short-lived 60's TV series called "The Jetsons" which had a vision of the future very close to this film, The show flopped, Since by the time the show aired (Early 60's), This vision was already out-dated. Still, It's nice to watch this film, and hope 50 years from now maybe the better parts of it will come true.
Reviewer: Gregor_Raven - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - October 5, 2007
Subject: My wife
I am the Raven.... Are you ready?
Let the review begin:

I love this sooooo much that i have infact based my life on it. My wife Emma Raven Davis looks remarkably like the spirited young lady in the movie. Strangely, upon our first meeting i was wearing tops, tails and a mask. My dream is that one day they will design a time machine to take us back to those beautiful moments. I in fact own a car with a fin. I hand crafted it from MDF based upon the highway of tomorrow. If anyone is interested in swapping futuristic photos or letters, please contact the raven.
Young challenger, I would give this review five golden rings.
Reviewer: craftwork - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 21, 2006
Subject: wonderful film
this film is truly the epitome of its era. the wonderful cars, when cars were an absolute work of art, when everything from fashion to kitchens had style.
Reviewer: bread - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 15, 2006
Subject: I love this film!
i simply love this short film. It' about a woman who loves cars, who dreams about going to a futuristic car show, with a masked man. I love most of the 50's cars, and i love the part where they are in a kitchen, and we see all sorts of cool gadgets. Then she has her relaxing time, and takes out her wonderful cake, which is very amusing, and then they have a futuristic dance. Then they show a fabulous selection of cars and fashion, I love the cars and I love the fashion. Then they travel on a futuristic road, and we see the city of the future. I love the songs in this film, and I watch it often. I think that anyone who gets the chance should watch this film, as it's lots of fun.
Reviewer: jafran - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - November 10, 2005
Subject: futuristic fantasy
Futuristic fantasy made by GM in 1956. An upbeat
prediction that hasn't quite materialized yet- 50 years later. Fun to watch, however.
Reviewer: Tamlin - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 15, 2005
Subject: A reason to live
Easily the greatest movie ever made about the American way of life. as the previous 14 reviews indicate.
When the road is dark and the night is cold crank up this baby and see what happens
Reviewer: dalangdon - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - June 15, 2005
Subject: Last night I dreamt I went to the auto show...
The premise is simple: A cute girl with one of those daring 50's short haircuts has a vivd dream about attending the Motorama in New York City. Happens every day, right?

Maybe - but few dreams are as fabulous as "Design for Dreaming"

The cars are great, the high-fashion clothes are great, the "kitchen of tomorrow" is great. The only false note is when Our Girl tries her hand at modern dance.

While I would have like to have seen more refrigerators, I'm sort of weird. All in all, "Design for Dreaming" is a must-see
Reviewer: nightwatchdog - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - April 15, 2005
Subject: A fantasy with cars & cakes !
One of the best advertising short subjects I've ever seen.

Highly Recomended.
Reviewer: Robin Banks - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - July 16, 2004
Subject: Relax, enjoy it!
Seems some folks, like "harleyearl", seem to take all this too seriously and want to examine the American Ethic after the fact, condemning the culture and what have you, rather than looking at this for what it is... an amusing glimpse into past history. Nothing can be done to change it, only to avoid the bad parts. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all. Look at how nice people look and act, and the bright-eyed wonder of a bold new world ahead rather than the bleak unending-ness of our current world outlooks... I'll take these times in a heartbeat, blinkered, repressed and all!

Besides, I own a Harley Earl (the real one) designed car (my 1953 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan), and Harley was selling EXACTLY what this spot portrays. In fact, HE was the one with all the wild designs, fins and chrome, and more! more! more! more! attitudes to foist on the American (and world) car buying population. Harley (the real one) started the fin & chrome races. Management? Phooey! He wasn't about management, he was about wild designs and jammin' it down our throats, and God bless him for it. The 50s and 60s would have been a lot more boring without it all. (And my old Caddy wouldn't be half as outrageously chromed, finned and bloated without 'em.)

Now calm down, Harley (the not real one), and enjoy this. If you want to rant, rant about how GM has invoked the name of Harley Earl on it's new cars... cars that the real Harley Earl wouldn't endorse with a gun to his head.

This is our past history. Enjoy it for what it was, and what we were. We ate this stuff up in the 50s, whether you want to believe it or not, and like it our not. Our parents waited breathlessly for each new model year. What an event it was every year. (Unlike today.)

This is truly great industrial film making at it's zenith! I applaud the wretched excess of it all. I just wonder how one bakes a cake WITH candles in it though... now that's REALLY amazing! Hey harleyearl... let's go for a ride in my '53 Caddie and laugh about it all. :-)

I wish I could give this 10 stars.
Reviewer: harleyearl - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - April 12, 2004
Subject: Motoramic Masterpieces
All the wizardry presented in this movie on ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂautomotive artistryÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ originally came from the dreams of one contemporary artist: Harley Earl, the great auto engineer/designer who invented the "automobile design" profession in the U.S. of A.

Most people today, especially the cadre of leaders and/or legions of employees who work at GM at the dawn of the new century, don't understand how this one man was the true architect behind GM's long-term success in the modern era.

Starting in the Sixties, Detroit completely lost what Earl gave Motown... MODERN LEADERSHIP PRINCIPLES! In todayÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs auto world it's sad but true that GM and Ford are strictly followers when it comes to introducing brilliant new ideas and innovations (including original advertising themes) to the auto world. All these concepts almost exclusively come from the auto making dream factories of the Styling Leaders in Japan and Germany who donÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂt take for granted that EarlÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂdriven-by-designÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ business paradigm is still the No. 1 reason for car sales today.

What's it all mean, DetroitÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs backward leaders (from Bill Ford Jr. to overrated car guys like Bob Lutz) will continue to loose ground and market share aiding in Ford & GM capitulating to whereby one or both of these auto makers will have to be financially rescued by the likes of a Toyota or Nissan in the next ten years time.

Thanks,
Concerned American Citizen
Reviewer: Darthdemona - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - April 4, 2004
Subject: The Phantom of the Showroom
If Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote commercials, they would be just like this.
Reviewer: Marysz - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - March 8, 2004
Subject: Design for Buying
A mesmerizing film that showcases the fifties woman as both a consumer and an object of consumptionÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂalong with a lot of cars and kitchen appliances. A sleeping woman is awakened by a ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂPrince CharmingÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ in tails coming into her bedroom, who invites her to go to the Waldorf-Astoria to see the latest GM cars. ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂSince itÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs just a dream and I have no money, which one would you like me to buy you, honey?ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ he sings. Well, maybe heÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs not such a Prince Charming after all. Sure enough, she soon finds herself in a kitchen, with an apron on over her evening dress. Yes, itÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs a ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂKitchen of TomorrowÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ with ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂpush button magic,ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ but itÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs still a kitchen. ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂJust like a man, you give him a break, and you end up in the kitchen baking a cake!ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ She makes a cake in a glass oven and then finds herself onstage doing the ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂDance of TomorrowÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ to an adoring crowd. We cut to a parade of GM cars, out of which step models wearing the latest fashionsÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂthe magnificent El Dorado Town Car by CadillacÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂensemble, Christian Dior!ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Both the women and the cars are the objects of the anonymous audienceÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂs captivated gaze. Then Prince Charming re-appears and invites her to take a ride on the ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂHighway of TomorrowÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ in a ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂFirebird Two.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Wait, I thought he didnÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂt have any money! Maybe he bought the car on the ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂInstallment Plan of Tomorrow.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ The audience gasps with delight as he wraps a mink stole around her and they ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂtake offÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ to the future. Then, as the music swells to a finale, we are looking out at the ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂHighway of TomorrowÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ from the same vantage point as the coupleÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂand all we see is an empty road going nowhere. The film is unintentionally truthful; the ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂWorld of TomorrowÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ promised by such passive consumption is nothing more than a dead end.
Reviewer: www.martsander.com - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - July 13, 2003
Subject: Names of the stars revealed.
Hm. Seems most of the reviewers have hard times telling the difference between TUX (a tuxedo - basically a black suit to be weared with black bow tie) and TAILS (festive attire with prolonged hind, to be weared with a white tie & vest and a top hat), since the man in the film is definitely wearing TAILS. It looks as if this film once had end credits - they sort of start off, but are cut short very rapidly. To those of us who have watched more films on this site, it becomes clear that the wonderful girl in this film is Thelma "Tad" Tadlock, who is also staring in another fantasy short A Touch Of Magic (1961, with James Mitchell who was in MGM-s The Band Wagon). The man in the tails, incidentally, is called Marc Breaux.
Reviewer: Spuzz - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - April 17, 2003
Subject: One of The CLASSICS!
Design for Dreaming, is simply put, beautiful kitsch. All about everything and really about nothing, it's a gorgeous fantasy piece designed to show case everything.. you name it (The Exposition! Cars! Fashion! Cooking! Music!) featuring a Cyd Charisse like dancer having one whopper of a dream where a phantom figure twirls her around and shows her the cars of tommorow, a fantasy kitchen and all the up to the minute fashions. it's wild, it's technolcolor, it's cult-deserving and it's a MUST SEE on this site.
Reviewer: author - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - December 14, 2002
Subject: Engaging film, both nostalgic and futuristic
This film appeals to me both from the nostalgic viewpoint of growing up in the 1950s and futurism in the science fiction I read then and still read. Interesting to contrast the "dream cars of tomorrow" with what we have today. Production values, high. Musical presentation very nice.
Reviewer: Rollin' Danny - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - December 7, 2002
Subject: Unbelievble Design
Think, this is one of the best films, I've ever seen in this kind of advertising. Surely rare and very good quality. My wife want to have a kitchen like this here. And she have more time to drive her dreamcar...........ha.
Step in this unbeliveble world of future design, and really enjoy it !You have no keyborad in frontof you - it's pushbutton control !
Rollin' Danny / germany
Reviewer: zzskipzz - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - November 11, 2002
Subject: Technical Info
The problem with the VCD version of this movie is that the audio was sampled at 48khz instead of 44.1khz. This makes the file not compliant with the VCD standared. It is possible for downloaders with mpeg editing savvy to de-multiplex the audio from the video, convert the audio to 44.1 and re-multiplex the file. It would be better however to have the original file corrected by the webmaster.
Reviewer: Christine Hennig - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - October 21, 2002
Subject: Design for Dreaming
Man, was that a weird dream, or what? No, you're not dreaming, you're watching an industrial film! A woman dreams a man in a tux and a silver mask comes into her bedroom and whisks her away to the GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. She sings, dances, flies, gets all the cars she wants, makes a frosted cake with lit birthday candles merely by pushing a button in the Kitchen of Tomorrow, cavorts in various fashions, and cruises the Highway of the Future with her silver-masked beau. This film was designed to generate excitement for the Motorama and act as a replacement for it for those who couldn't make it to New York. It all comes off like one of those silly, improvisational "musicals" they do on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", only with lavish production values ("OK, you're to make up a musical about "the latest fashions", "cars", "birthday cakes", "dreams", and "the future"ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂgo!"). An interesting piece of trivia: Apparently the film has no actual scenes of the MotoramaÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂit was filmed in its entirety on a soundstage in Florida!
Ratings: Camp/Humor Value: *****. Weirdness: *****. Historical Interest: *****. Overall Rating: ****.
Reviewer: gflint - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - October 9, 2002
Subject: Great film!
I don't know where to start with this one. The description is pretty complete. I was actually writing a review because there seems to be something wrong with the VCD version of the file -- I've downloaded it twice, and both times, when burned to a cd in a VCD authoring program, it plays back slow and stuttery, whereas all other files on here have been perfect. I hope the file gets fixed because this is one of the most interesting and entertaining films on here! Meanwhile, just watch it on your computer and be whisked away to the future world of 1956.
705 Favorites
30 Reviews
DOWNLOAD OPTIONS
download 1 file 256KB REAL MEDIA download
download 1 file 512KB MPEG4 download
download 1 file 64KB REAL MEDIA download
download 1 file DIVX download
download 1 file H.264 download
download 1 file ITEM TILE download
download 1 file MP3 download
download 1 file MPEG2 download
download 1 file OGG VIDEO download
download 1 file SUBRIP download
download 1 file TORRENT download
download 36 Files
download 11 Original
SHOW ALL
IN COLLECTIONS
Prelinger Archives
Uploaded by
Unknown
on July 16, 2002
SIMILAR ITEMS (based on metadata) play Play All

Prelinger Archives
Design for Dreaming
Design for Dreaming
by mpo productions
movies
eye29,589
favorite 114
comment 1
National Film Preservation Foundation
Design for Dreaming
Design for Dreaming
by mpo productions
movies
eye2,734
favorite 45
comment 0
Prelinger Archives
All-American Soap Box Derby, The (1936)
All-American Soap Box Derby, The (1936)
by handy (jam) organization
movies
eye26,523
favorite 51
comment 6
Prelinger Archives
Wonderful New World of Fords, A (1960 Ford Spot)
Wonderful New World of Fords, A (1960 Ford Spot)
by filmways
movies
eye142,592
favorite 169
comment 23
Prelinger Archives
Girl on the Magazine Cover, The
Girl on the Magazine Cover, The
by handy (jam) organization
movies
eye28,791
favorite 100
comment 6
Prelinger Archives
Touch of Magic, A
Touch of Magic, A
by mpo television films, inc.
movies
eye74,644
favorite 434
comment 22
Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014)
Morrissey Breen
2022-02-26 07:05:00 UTC
3:35
NOW PLAYING
John Wayne's Coolest Scenes #16: Steak, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962)

http://youtu.be/vtpFcw66Zlk
http://youtu.be/t7X6Zh0e-x4
Morrissey Breen
2022-03-16 08:01:23 UTC
http://youtu.be/fikOfVm4_9g
Post by Morrissey Breen
[...]
Twin Peaks Tunnel Construction and Opening
https://archive.org/details/TwinPeak1917

Publication date 1917
Usage Public DomainCreative Commons Licensepublicdomain
Topics San Francisco: Infrastructure
Digitizing sponsor Unknown
Twin Peaks trolley tunnel under construction and opening ceremony.
Shotlist

San Francisco, California: Twin Peaks trolley tunnel during construction; steam shovels / trucks / Streetcars at opening / construction under the hills
Morrissey Breen
2022-03-16 08:08:26 UTC
Post by Morrissey Breen
Post by Morrissey Breen
3:35
NOW PLAYING
John Wayne's Coolest Scenes #16: Steak, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962)
http://youtu.be/fikOfVm4_9g
1968 Weg zum Nachbarn (Way to the Neighbour)
https://archive.org/details/Mommartz_Weg_zum_Nachbarn_1968
Publication date 1968
Usage Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 InternationalCreative Commons Licensebyncsa
Topics Lutz Mommartz, German experimental Cinema, Renate Meves, Gerd Hübinger.
Publisher Mommartzfilm
Language international
With Renate Meves and Gerd Hübinger.
A woman looks during lovemaking to the viewer.

"Way to the neighbor" is a ten-minute opus that Lutz Mommartz commented as follows: "A women communicates with the audience." More, in fact, does not happen. The devoted rapture in the face of the actor lets the viewer imagine that this is not a compulsory exercise, but a pleasurable freestyle happening. Lutz Mommartz is the purist among German filmmakers. His scenes focus on the basic elements of movement and rest, of tense and relaxation. He forces with the suggestive power of repeated banality the audience into the rhythm of his cinematic action.
(THOMAS SCHRÖDER, DIE WELT, 12.10.68)

"Way to the neighbor" consists of a shot in a single take close-up of a woman's face.
Expression and movement are clear: The woman is having sex with a man and reaches twice a climax.
(FILM, JAN. 69)

The audience watches in the face of a young female performer the climax of love.
(STERN, 17.11.68)

One short work of art is the face of a girl having two ethereal orgasms, and rather nice, too: Happiness and art no doubt.
(THE OBSERVER, 30.8.70)
Credits

The Lutz Mommartz Film Archive is a collection of the film works of German film-maker Lutz Mommartz, considered to be one of the pioneers in the film genre known as the "other cinema". Mommartz was born in Erkelenz in 1934 and spent most of his life in Düsseldorf. He began making movies in 1967 and eventually became Professor of Film at the Kunstakademie Münster. He still lives and works in Germany, dividing his time between Düsseldorf and Berlin.

Contact Information www.mommartzfilm.com
Addeddate 2005-10-24 09:16:41
Color Black & White
Director Lutz Mommartz
Identifier Mommartz_Weg_zum_Nachbarn_1968
Run time 10,26’
Sound Sound
Type MovingImage
Year 1968
plus-circle Add Review
comment Reviews
Reviewer: MeThroughZ123 - favoritefavoritefavorite - December 24, 2021
Subject: Now For Something Completely Different!!!
Here is one of many {MEMOREX Corporation XXX} FAIL VAULT!!! Commercials...LOL!!!
Reviewer: Pharmacy Boy - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - November 22, 2020
Subject: Me Likey!!
I I think I'm going to buy the wife a white tank top........
Reviewer: Miguel Antonio Gonzalez Ramos - favoritefavorite - February 18, 2020
Subject: Loy
Mirada de tranquilidad
Reviewer: ghostlightlyeagle - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 23, 2019
Subject: Lovely face
Doesn't her face just tell you all you need - the rest is up to you - very subtle - I loved this - would have just liked a little more of her
Reviewer: JimiMod - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 1, 2016
Subject: Pioneer
I'm wondering if Momartz knows about a series of films called "Beautiful Agony?" They're either based on this early work, or someone else stumbled onto the idea unassisted.

This will long stand as the definition of the genre as well it should.

If you'll watch a little closer, the creaking bed sounds were added in post -- they don't sync up, even if you pull the audio and try to realign it, or so I've heard.
Reviewer: indianacarnie - favoritefavoritefavorite - December 29, 2013
Subject: Different
Beautiful woman.
Reviewer: hingerty - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - March 25, 2010
Subject: Such a doll
I am 59yrs old.I experienced the so called hippie-freelove-woodstock thing..but I cant remembr ever having a woman look at me like this one looked at "ole Gerd". Lucky boy. And I dont really care for porn etc. I dont care to watch other people do what I can do better? But I couldnt take my eyes away from this charming little film. It makes you feel good. Its a tonic for the soul.
Reviewer: NoMoreIs - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - October 15, 2009
Subject: Awesome
Beautiful movie & beautiful woman.
Reviewer: johnnychristfighter - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - January 11, 2009
Subject: How do I down load this?
Just wondering if i can?
Reviewer: pusherwoman - favoritefavoritefavorite - January 1, 2009
Subject: orgasm
An erotic film without showing some skin that works!
Reviewer: jamesward - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - April 11, 2007
Subject: Chilling
This film is brilliant and lovely and unsettling.
The glitches and pops make it perfect.
Reviewer: skunkgoddess - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - December 12, 2006
Subject: Wow!
I'm awed by this wonderful, beautiful, special film
Reviewer: PotterRob - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - July 21, 2006
Subject: Beautiful.
This is the most beautiful woman i have ever seen. I doubt that I will ever see a person with such lovely expression, and it's great that this is on film.
Reviewer: Joe 4858 - favoritefavoritefavorite - December 19, 2005
Subject: hn
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Reviewer: left wing films - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - December 1, 2005
Subject: love meets art
I must say I m a geek for Richard Kern Experimental 16mm BW and Warhol 16mm BW which could lead me to say that I like this one
but much more than that as I edited it and busted it from my G4 Powerbook into my living room wall while listening to
Tchaikovsky 's Elegia, Serenade For String Orchestra in loop and totally adore it
A 5 stars must see
176 Favorites
15 Reviews
DOWNLOAD OPTIONS